The Teen Library Internship Handbook
Diane P. Tuccillo
Teen library internships are becoming increasingly common in both school and public libraries.
Librarians seeking guidance on how to launch or grow their teen internships will find help in this practical handbook. They will discover:
- Rationales and helpful advice for providing support and funding for meaningful internship opportunities.
- Shining examples that can be emulated and adapted in other library settings that comprise the book’s central focus.
- Testimonials by interns, librarians and library staff, and other adults who have worked with employed teens that will enhance points, give insights, and generate enthusiasm.
- Step-by-step plans for creating tailor-made teen library internship handbooks that can be used by teen interns, library staff, and others who are taking part in training, evaluating, and teamwork during internships in each unique setting.
- Advice on how to gain feedback and assess outcomes to make internships more relevant and valuable.
- Ways and means to adapt internship experiences during times of pandemics or other emergencies.
- A path to promoting innovative youth participation that will help teens to meaningfully develop knowledge and skills for their futures while encouraging them to become dedicated library users and supporters into adulthood.
By providing this new way of encouraging youth participation, libraries can help teens to meaningfully develop knowledge and skills for their futures while encouraging them to become dedicated library users and supporters into adulthood.