Writing Memoir (Lit Starts)
A Book of Writing Prompts
San Francisco Writers' Grotto
A book of writing prompts from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto, authors of the bestselling 642 Things series
Focus on a single aspect of the craft of writing with help from the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto. Writing Memoir starts with a foreword by New York Times bestselling author Julie Lythcott-Haims, who offers pointers for crafting a compelling narrative from your own experiences. The rest of the book consists of prompts and space to think, providing opportunities to reframe aspects of your life in thoughtful and interesting ways. Among other ideas, you’ll be asked to write:
- a virtual tour of your hometown
- a description of what’s in your purse or wallet right now
- a list of all the lies you’ve told
- an account of a historical event from your own lifetime, in a way that reveals something significant about yourself
Take to a café, on vacation, or on your morning commute and practice your creative writing a little bit at a time.
- Advice from a published writer, followed by prompts
- Part of the Lit Starts series, a collection of single-subject writing prompt books by the San Francisco Writers’ Grotto
Check out the other books in this series: Writing Action, Writing Character, Writing Dialogue, Writing Humor, and Writing Sci-fi and Fantasy.